Samples of Traditional Modern Hindu Wedding Ceremony Vows: In India, marriage is not only a two soul affair, but it is the marriage between two families.
If you’re not an Indian but you are about marrying one or you are invited to attend a Hindu wedding ceremony, you may be wondering what happens at a Hindu wedding? The Hindu marriage tradition is a sacred and elaborate ceremony involving many significant rituals and rites which often extend over several days. There are sacred seven vows which are performed on the day of the marriage itself. As the newlyweds-to-be walk around the flame honoring Agni, the Hindu fire god, they recite the seven vows of marriage to each other. The bride and groom are bound together by an unseen bond protected by these promising words. In this post are compilation of Hindu Wedding Vows.
Modern Hindu Wedding Vows
- Let us take the first step to provide for our household a nourishing and pure diet, avoiding those foods injurious to healthy living. Let us take the second step to develop physical, mental, and spiritual powers.
- Let us take the third step to increase our wealth by righteous means and proper use.
- Let us take the fourth step to acquire knowledge, happiness, and harmony by mutual love and trust.
- Let us take the fifth step so that we are blessed with strong, virtuous, and heroic children.
- Let us take the sixth step for self-restraint and longevity.
- Finally, let us take the seventh step and be true companions and remain lifelong partners by this wedlock.
Seven Steps Of Hindu Wedding Vows In English
First Hindu Wedding Vow
An in-depth understanding of seven promises in Hindu Marriage. Concisely, the bride and groom promise each other prosperity by fulfilling their respective roles in their lives.
Groom: “om esha ekapadi bhava iti prathaman” meaning ‘You will offer me food and be helpful in every way. I will cherish you and provide welfare and happiness for you and our children’.
Bride: “dhanam dhanyam pade vadet”‘ I am responsible for the home and all household, food and finance responsibilities’.
Second Hindu Wedding
Groom: “om oorje jara dastayaha”, meaning ‘Together we will protect our house and children’.
Bride: “kutumburn rakshayishyammi sa aravindharam”, which translates as ‘I will be by your side as your courage and strength. I will rejoice in your happiness. In return, you will love me solely’.
Third Hindu Wedding
Groom: “om rayas santu joradastayaha” by which he means ‘May we grow wealthy and prosperous and strive for the education of our children and may our children live long.’
Bride: “tava bhakti as vadedvachacha”, meaning ‘I will love you solely for the rest of my life, as you are my husband. Every other man in my life will be secondary. I vow to remain chaste’.
Fourth Hindu Wedding
Groom: “om mayo bhavyas jaradastaya ha” by which he means ‘You have brought sacredness into my life, and have completed me. May we be blessed with noble and obedient children’ In return for this promise,
Bride: “lalayami cha pade vadet”, by which she means, ‘I will shower you with joy, from head to toe. I will strive to please you in every way I can’.
Fifth Hindu Wedding Vow
Groom: “om prajabhyaha santu jaradastayaha”, which means ‘You are my best friend, and staunchest well-wisher. You have come into my life, enriching it. God bless you’.
Bride: “arte arba sapade vadet” or ‘I promise to love and cherish you for as long as I live. Your happiness is my happiness, and your sorrow is my sorrow. I will trust and honor you, and will strive to fulfill all your wishes’.
Sixth Hindu Wedding Vow
Groom: “Rutubhyah shat padi bhava” which means ‘Now that you have taken six steps with me, you have filled my heart with immense happiness. Will you do the kindness of filling my heart with happiness like this for all times?’
Seventh Hindu Wedding Vow
Groom: “Om sakhi jaradastayahga”, by which he proclaims ‘We are now husband and wife, and are one. You are mine and I am yours for eternity.’
Bride: “Attramshe sakshino vadet pade”, which means ‘As God is witness, I am now your wife. We will love, honor and cherish each other forever.
Vows Of Hindu Marriage
- “Teerathavartodan Yagyakaram Maya Sahayee Priyavai Kurya :,
Wamangamayami Teada kadheyvav Brwati Sentenam first Kumari !!”
- “Pujayu as Swao Pahrao Mamam Fletcher Nijkaram Kurya,
Vaamangamayami Tadrayuddhi Brwati Kanya Vachanam II !!”
- “Living in the law of life,
Varmangayamy Turda Dwivedi Bratiti Kanya Vrutti Tharthiya !!”
- “If you want to comply with Family Counseling Function:
Vaamangamayami tadrayuddhi bratiti karni vadhan fourtha !!”
- “Personal Career Practices, Mammapi Mantrytha,
Wamangamayami Teada Kadheyeye Bruete Wachch: Panchamatra Kanya !!”
- “Do not waste your money in a simple way,
Wamamgamayami Taddaa Brwati Kanya Vyasam Saturday, September !!”
- “Ancestors, mothers, always respected, always cherished,
Warmangaiyami Turda Dudhaye Bruete Wachch: Satyendra Kanya !!”